Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Weekend Recap - Mixed Media Explorations

Mixed media explorations - now that's an understatement! Not only have I been working at my art desk but also in my kitchen too. I decided to make something special for my son for Halloween when I stumbled upon these adorable brownie spiders that Bakerella created for Paula Deen's website. They didn't seem too difficult when reading the recipe but what a train wreck!



Epic fail! I felt a bit defeated until I came across these Frankenstein marshmallow pops and gave them a shot.


Not bad. I couldn't find green candy melts so I put 10 drops of green food coloring into white (vanilla) Wilton Candy Dips (in it's own microwavable container). The black edible food marker wouldn't work correctly due to the oils in the chocolate so I used a Betty Crocker black gel decorator. I used cupcake pearls for the eyes. The gel would have worked better had it been a fine line but they're still cute. Let me tell you, if I ever had illusions of being a cake/candy decorator that dream has now been thrown out the window. LOL.


I also tried making fabric flowers for the first time. The very first one I made was with burlap and didn't turn out so well. The second one I made was with regular fabric which worked much better.


Next I made a button flower with 8 folded fabric circles. I like it the best.


Maybe I should just stick with what I love the most... :-D 

I worked on these two small pieces for our local artist's group:




They're collecting pieces for a hanging display (and sale) for the holidays. The doodle piece was color washed with Caran d'Ache artist crayons. A few more details are needed before it's complete.

Don't you just love getting goodies in the mail? Here are a few lovelies I've received the last few days:


Clockwise from top: "Free Your Beautiful Soul" shadow box art from Melody Ross for Demdaco (Amazon), 73 Lessons Every Goddess Should Know by Goddess Leonie Dawson (Amazon), Brave Girls Club gear (Zazzle), and a limited edition hardcover of Ordinary Sparkling Moments by Christine Mason Miller ((Etsy) at the softcover price!). Love!

Oh yeah, the German inspired desserts from Friday's luncheon were a hit! The containers were scraped clean, possibly licked clean. LOL. In fact, I made another batch of the black forest dream dessert since I bought double the ingredients and it was devoured during lunch yesterday. You have to try it!

Since I've babbled on long enough...I'm leaving you with a picture of a sign I saw in World Market to ponder.


Have a wonderful week!

XOXO,

1 comment:

Robyn (RedDogGirl) said...

Once again your creativity is inspiring! LOVE the artwork - and your kitchen art is amazing too!