Sunday, September 30, 2012

What I've Been Up To...

Is it already the end of the weekend? Wow! Times flies when you're having fun.

The only time I had to work on art projects this weekend was to start this canvas:


And a little more progress on this one I posted on Thursday:


I recently joined the Panhandle Chapter of the Florida Trail Association after going on a great hike at a local conservation park I'd never been to. I've been planning on some events to attend with FTA in the coming month. I found them through Meet Up. I'm also a member of a meditation and a yoga meet up in my town. I went to two different events with them this weekend. I went to an open heart meditation where a guy was playing a Native American hand-carved flute and a woman was playing her singing bowls as she led us through the meditation. Absolutely beautiful! I have a singing bowl I picked up in India and have yet to learn how to use it.

I also went to a kirtan event. If you're not familiar with kirtan it's a call and response type chanting and means "praise" in Sanskrit. If you've never been and have the opportunity you should totally go for it. It's such a heart-opening celebration of love and spirituality. You don't even have to know what the words mean in order to FEEL them. It's an amazing experience and something I was able to enjoy in India.

Robin Renee was visiting from Philly and led the kirtan. I picked up a couple of her CDs to enjoy at home. Here's a (terrible) picture from Saturday night of Robin playing the harmonium:


Besides all that goodness, I've been working through my house decluttering. Last weekend was my bedroom and closet. This weekend was my kitchen. You know how they say things get worse before they get better? That phrase fits organization perfectly. My kitchen is a disaster right now but it will look amazing in the end. 

I started with the drawers. Ideally, I would have transparent trays and slide pretty scrapbook paper underneath to peek through but I have white ones instead and have no intention of purchasing new ones. I'm trying to keep this makeover low-cost by reusing current trays and bins or purchasing needed items from the dollar store. I don't want to spend too much money but clean, organize, and get rid of stuff I no longer use. My solution was to cut the scrapbook paper to fit into the tray sections and seal with Mod Podge. 

Here are my drawer before pictures:




Messy, huh? I used one style paper for the silverware tray but mixed it up with a coordinating paper for the other trays. 



I started with glossy Mod Podge but decided it was too shiny and used matte for the fourth and final coat. Here are my after pictures:



Super cute, low-cost, and organized. Okay, so I did replace the silverware tray. My old one was black which didn't match the rest and was cracked.

I'm working on a project for my spice cabinet that I should be done with tomorrow and can post those pics. I'm still working through my other cabinets which will take me a few more days. I have a nice stack of items to add to my yard sale pile. I'm getting together with some friends in a few weeks for a group yard sale. It'll be my first yard sale ever! 

Have a good Sunday night!

Hugs,


No comments: