Thursday, February 7, 2013

Teaching Patience: My Lifelong Lesson from the Universe


The message I seem to consistently get from the universe is, “I will teach you patience.” You would think I would eventually learn but alas I am merely a disciplined child still sitting with my nose in the corner. 

Generally when there’s a lesson there will be a test to follow. Patience will be tested. Repeatedly. Especially if you’re in a hurry. Apparently, the way you handle small frustrations sets the stage for how you handle the larger ones. Patience allows for tolerance, for yourself and others, which then makes room for an improved ability to love, again for yourself and others. Delayed gratification is a stepping stone to achieving patience. A win for the reasoning part of your brain over the impulsive part.

When you lose, don’t lose the lesson. ~Dalai Lama

Frustrations true purpose is not to frustrate you but to support you in aligning with your higher self. When dealing with frustration, imagine a devil and an angel sitting on your shoulder with their contrasting views. The devil character encourages you to stay frustrated because it feels you have a right to be upset. The angel, the more mindful side of you, will insist on seeking the lesson by trusting your intuition. Cultivating patience is never an easy task but it’s a heck of a lot more liberating and compassionate in the end.

The most common frustrations:

-Blank isn’t happening quickly enough.
-You don’t receive what you ask for.
-Feeling rejected.
-Disappointed by others.

The first one is what frustrates me the most often. I fail to remember that spirit works on its own schedule, not mine. Things will fall into place when the time is right not when I say I want it. I’m not much of a gardener but I do know that there are certain times to transplant. If a flower is flourishing in a small planter, transplanting to a larger planter too soon may cause it to wither away. Blooming only happens at the right time for flowers. The same goes for us.

One of the most invaluable lessons I’ve learned is that you may not get what you want when you want it but you will always get what you need. Don’t fight the frustration as it will only wear you out. Relax into it. Go with the flow. Take a deep breath to curb reacting. Draw on laughter. Seek the positive.

Hugs,

No comments: