Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Daring Greatly


If you haven’t had a chance to catch Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday episode with Dr. Brene Brown you are missing out. You can view the full episode of Part I here. Wow, I was blown away!

Brene’s previous book, The Gifts of Imperfection spoke to the core of my soul and the video has inspired me to read her new book Daring Greatly. She did a read-along on her blog a few months ago which I’m following along with now that I picked up her book. You can access those posts here.

For several days now I’ve pondering something that she said in the Oprah interview that really got my attention. She was talking about when we lose our tolerance to be vulnerable, joy becomes foreboding. When things are going well in our life we start thinking, “Uh oh. Life is good so when’s the ball going to drop?” We can’t accept the joy in our lives because we’re always expecting something bad to happen. Why can’t we just be happy and joyful? Why do we assume something bad will happen when things are going well? Holy crap, I always do that! I never accept the gift of joy because is my mind I feel it’s too good to be true. I’m too happy, put on the brakes because the ride is about to get bumpy!

I look forward to reading more about this when I get to that section in the book. My guess is that it goes back to not feeling worthy (scarcity) of having a joyous life which is an area of my life I’m working on. This means allowing myself to be vulnerable in order to work through these hurt places. Leaning into the discomfort in order to heal these feelings of inadequacy so that I can dare greatly to live an abundant and rich life of peace and joy.

Have you read Daring Greatly? What were the biggest takeaways from this book, or the Oprah episode, for you?

Hugs,

No comments: