Thursday, July 18, 2013

Seek Beauty


There are days where I wake up so exhausted and grumpy that I'm not sure if I truly caught any sleep. Even so, I trudge on through my daily chores and put on a happy face. I'm a firm believer in the, "Fake it till you make it." concept and on days like these I have to place this theory into action. The most valuable approach for me is seeking beauty in the ordinary.

Take a moment and look around you.

What do you see?

Look past the obvious.

Call on your senses.

Is there something that you usually wouldn't notice that caught you eye?

Does it make you smile? Remember? Does it bring you joy?

Yes, that it!

Take a mental picture or an actual photo, if it helps.

Now, take that peace and try to carry it with you throughout your day.

When you're feeling a bit stressed, recall that mental picture. Take a few deep cleansing breaths as you focus on the image and bring yourself back to center.

Come back to this practice, if needed.

We get so busy in our lives that we don't always take the time to look around us and take in the little things that we would usually miss. This became so obvious to me when my son was a tot and he would be spellbound by what I deemed ordinary but he considered extraordinary. A rain drop, a snowflake, the wind blowing his hair, a butterfly, or even a flower amongst weeds.

Seek it and you will find it.

Hugs,

No comments: